In this uncertain pandemic period, this page shares with you the necessary recommendations if a person with Parkinson’s or their caregiver contracts COVID-19. Here is a list of useful measures, which will allow the best possible protection of vulnerable people and those around them:
- First of all, if you or one of your relatives contracts COVID-19, the first step would be to contact a social worker or a member of the team at your CLSC to find out what additional services you could possibly have. For example, ask if help could be added for getting up and bedtime for a two-week period?
- At the same time, it may be useful to check up on your network if one or more people would agree to take over in the case where the caregiver also falls ill. These people should be well informed about the specific care, medications, the times they take them, etc.
- It would be good to create a record of informations about the person’s health, family history and medication list, as well as few immediate family phone numbers. It may be useful to prepare a document with the progress of health to give to the medical staff if necessary.
- In the case where you or the person you are taking care of has symptoms and a test has been taken, it is important to stay isolated in a room while waiting for the result. In order to prepare for such a situation of isolation, the ideal is to prepare a medical box containing a thermometer, painkillers, gloves, masks, a glass, disinfectant, a laundry basket with a garbage bag inside, so you can collect everything with your gloves. It is important to wash all laundry in hot water.
- Ask regularly the person if everything is going well and check the progress of their health condition: check their temperature, if they have breathing difficulties, etc.
- Do the grocery / pharmacy online and / or ask for grocery to be delivered in front of your door and wash everything.
You can complete this COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment if you think you or the person you are taking care of has symptoms : https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/covid-19-symptom-self-assessment-tool/
If you think you have signs of the COVID-19 or the person you are taking care of has symptoms, call 1-877-644-4545 to be directed to the right resource.